New Student Registration - Adult Classes
Teacher: Christina Thoen, Bachelor of Education Degree (Certified Teacher), Art Major, Artist & member of the Kyla Art Group, along with an assistant in each class as needed.
**See Below for full class outline and additional information!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PHONE ME IF YOU HAVE ANY TROUBLES!!! 306-961-3350 WILL GET YOU TO MY CELL... WE CAN TOTALLY REGISTER YOU OVER THE PHONE... ANYTIME... THANKS!!! :) Christina
* All new students are required to attend the beginners workshop for a cost of $260 (+ taxes) prior to first class (includes all supplies for graphite)
If chosen medium is different, there will be an amount due the first day of workshop to cover the difference in supply costs (andyou will be notified of this difference):
Workshop dates are: September 12th & 13th or September 26th & 27th from 1 - 6pm each day. (must attend workshop prior to starting class)
Fees: (all fees include beginners workshop above)
**All post-dated payments are due the first day of the workshop. (credit card info or cheques)
- Full Discount payment: one payment of $1,047.95 (+ tax)
- 2 payments - first payment with registration $680.24 (+ tax), postdated payment due 1st day of workshop for January 1st post-dated payment of $420.24 (+tax)
- Monthly payments - first payment of $368.08 (+ tax), postdated payments due 1st day of workshop for $108.08 (+ tax) each for Oct. 1 - Apr. 1st post-dated payments.
**Please include students name, phone numbers and chosen medium in the "note to seller" at the check out.
Many students generally start off in the graphite medium, however students may choose to start in other mediums if they have a lot of drawing experience and have had some previous experiences in other mediums. With continuous studio courses, students may register for Weekend Workshops which are held throughout the year with continuous studio classes and as they are interested and ready for different mediums.
ALL SUPPLIES are professional - we at Christina's Art School don't believe in "student grade" as learning is already difficult enough without an added frustration of supplies that are inferior (colours not mixing properly, brushes that don't cover, canvas that flakes the paint off, etc.)
**If choose any other medium than graphite, basic sketchbook, HB pencil, and eraser will be included in the prices below.
- Graphite- (pencil) - basic first medium - drawing and working towards a finished piece of artwork - (supplies comes with registration)
- Charcoal- a good transition to explore blending capabilities without colour - (same price as graphite - comes with registration)
- Wax Pastel- excellent first color painting mediums - can also include use of pastel pencil for fine details etc, versatile and accommodates a variety of artistic styles - (**$150 will be due the first day of the workshop if choose this medium)
- India Ink & Watercolor Pans - great transition to colour and painting - no matter how the paint is applied, the Ink pulls it all together - there's no such thing as a mistake with this medium- excellent for traveling (**$95 will be due the first day of the workshop if choose this medium)
- Oil Pastel- another transition to color, however, more difficult to erase and get fine details- need control - (**$95 will be due the first day of the workshop if choose this medium)
- Colored Pencil- another transition, requires a very controlled style - good for details, fairly slow medium - (**$150 will be due the first day of the workshop if choose this medium)
- Acrylic- the suggested first wet color painting medium (**$165 will be due the first day of the workshop if choose this medium)
- Watercolor- the most advanced wet colored medium - some experience in other mediums is recommended (**$195 will be due the first day of the workshop if choose this medium)
Length & Dates: 28 weeks (starting the week of September 11th with a break through Christmas and then starting the week of February 5th) Otherwise, we follow the school holidays and classes are over around the middle of May.
Course Outline: No previous experience is necessary, however a weekend workshop in the chosen medium is a prerequisite. The students choose their own still-life or a reference picture to work from. They work on their pieces independently while the teacher comes around to go over their artwork on a one-on-one basis. Each lesson consists of individual instruction and a group lesson on techniques and art theories.
Instruction will include:
- A working knowledge of the art mediums used, including materials and techniques specific to this medium, and also demonstrations and exercises (part of the basic workshop - taken prior to weekly classes)
- The basic elements of art (color, value, line, shape, texture and space/form)
- The basic principles of art (emphasis, balance, movement, repetition/rhythm, proportion, variety and unity)
- A brief component of art history (cultural) and art criticism (response) in order to be able to describe, analyze, interpret particular artwork based on its style. (realism, expressionism, abstract or other various styles)
- Through this background knowledge, and doing exercises in 3-dimension, beginning with an emphasis on realism, each student will define and develop their own style through creating their own chosen subjects with continued individual instruction and individual critiques.
** Each year we have:
Year End Field Trip (chartered bus to the cities Saskatoon,Regina, or MooseJaw interspersed with an in-town field trip every other year)
Year End Art Show at the Grace Campbell Gallery in the public Library for the month of June for students who wish to display their work.